The employee disengagement topic has been all the rage for the last few years. It has become the new major waste we want to address in Corporatica. Many studies (McLeod’s being the most inspiring to me), many blog posts, there are tons of thinking about it. But what about the doing ?
I hear many people whingeing about it : “the teams are not engaged, they don’t walk the extra-mile, yada yada yada …”
When I hear this, I tend to become impatient and feel like asking that question : and what have you done today to fight this lack of engagement ?
Here are 15 questions to benchmark your implication in the disengagement battle :
- Have you thanked someone who did something for you ?
- Have you actively listened to someone talking about a personal issue while showing sincere interest ?
- If you have organized any meeting (God forbid), have you make a clear statement of what the objectives were ? Written any minute ? Time-boxed it ?
- If you have presented any slide deck (God forbid again) have you made sure this was not Death by Powerpoint ?
- Have you prevented yourself from talking about someone who were not there ? Have you stopped anyone from talking about someone who were not there ?
- Have you helped people envision the full picture and the purpose of what they were working on ?
- Have you defended somebody else’s great idea that was being attacked by a “Devil’s Advocate” ?
- If you made any new mistake (if you haven’t, it means you haven’t tried hard enough), have you openly stated that you were wrong. Have you been clear about what you’ve learned in the process ?
- Have you been careful about not using forbidden words while talking with a colleague about her work ?
- Have you been tough with situations while being kind to people ?
- Have you given people clear criteria of success while giving them as assignment ?
- Have you walked the distance to talk to the person you wanted to initially send an email ?
- How you given the ownership of something good back to the right person when this ownership was mistakenly given to you ?
- Have you delivered what you were expected to today ? Have you created any tangible value ? Have you helped people to deliver tangible value ?
- Have you limited the emails you sent to a few lines with straight to the point actionable items ?
The list could go on for ever. What are the important questions I have forgotten ?
If you haven’t done any of the above and you’re still complaining about people in your organization being disengaged, I am afraid you’re wasting everybody’s time in fruitless incantations.